Engineer Control & Simulation at the R&D department
- Damen Shipyards
- Branche / Vakgebied
- Research and Development
- Vereiste taal
- Engels, Nederlands
Do you want to contribute to our Research & Development projects for the short and long term and are you interested in the field of marine control system integration and testing?
As a work student Development Engineer Control & Simulations you are involved in development and testing of complex (integrated) marine control systems. In the last years, Damen has been using advanced Hardware-In-the-Loop (HIL) testing methods for testing these systems, which are often supplied by several subcontractors and integrated by Damen. Furthermore Damen has developed a vessel monitoring system and acquired a full mission bridge simulator. These tools pave the way to fully integrated digital twins of complex onboard automation systems.
You will be part of the HIL team and involved in new build and improvement projects. You assist the ship designers, engineering and commissioning with designing and specifying the required control systems. You will make software simulation models in Simulink for testing of the control system. Together with (commission) engineering and suppliers. These methods are based on the Validation and Verification method: V&V. You will also assist in new developments by means of integration between monitoring, simulation and automation platforms.
Your tasks & responsibilities include:
• Taking an assisting role in evaluation and testing of control system performance by means of software and HIL simulations;
• Assisting with the evaluation of the technical performance of ships during engineering, production and commissioning phases;
• Being actively involved in keeping the simulation equipment and software up to date;
• Being actively involved in developing, evaluating and managing the required simulation models.
Skills & experience
We are looking for a student who:
• Follows a study in Informatics, Systems and controls, Maritime Technology or Mechanical Engineering;
• Is available for a minimum of 2 days a week.
And preferably you have:
• Knowledge and at least relevant experience of system integration;
• Experience in executing projects and taking responsibility;
• Practical experience with industrial automation hardware, PLC programming and interfacing (UDP, TCP/IP, Modbus);
• Experience programming in Python, MATLAB, Simulink or comparable;
• Independent, critical, organized and good communication skills.
Damen Shipyards is a dynamic and international company with more than 12,000 employees worldwide. We are an original family business and this can still be felt on the work floor. The open and fun atmosphere makes Damen a unique and pleasant employer. From offshore ships to the most beautiful yachts and everything in between, Damen is at home in all markets.
Our mission is to become the most sustainable and connected shipbuilder in the world. To ensure global prosperity for the next generations, responsible utilization of the possibilities of the world seas and waters are essential. By expanding our leading position in standardisations of shipbuilding we can provide sustainable, innovative maritime solutions.
At Damen we talk about research, development and innovation. And for good reason, too. Innovation is in our DNA and has been since our earliest times. From the creation of the standardised shipbuilding concept to the construction of cutting-edge electric vessels, our in-house and collaborative research and development work aims to ensure we maintain our leading role as integrators and innovators.